Here is a step by step guide to setting up your email account in Microsoft Outlook 2019.
Option 1 – Setup email using the Wizard
- In Outlook click “File” > “Account Settings” > “Account Settings“. In the “Email” tab click “New“.
- Enter your email address in the Email Address field and check the “Advanced Options” > “Let me set up my account manually” checkbox and click “Connect“. This may take some time, so hang in there. (Using the Advanced Options is recommended as I recommend POP over IMAP in most cases because this allows you to recycle your disk space, storing your emails on your PC and not on the server).
- Under Advanced Setup select your mailbox configuration. In this case I’m choosing “POP“.
- Enter your password and click “Connect“. (if you receive a certificate error you can select “Yes” to continue, you can contact your host to confirm if you have SSL/TLS available for your mailboxes)
- And you should be done.
Option 2 – Setup email using the Control Panel (My recommended method)
- Click on the search icon/box on the Taskbar and search for “Control Panel“.
- In the control panel click “Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016)“.
- Click “Email Accounts“.
- In the Email tab click “New” then “Manually setup or additional server types” > “Next“.
- Select your account type, in this case I’m selecting “POP or IMAP” > “Next“.
- Enter your mailbox information in the fields provided. (I’m selecting POP for the Account Type)
- In most cases “Require logon using Secure Password Authentication” is not required.
- You can even select an existing Data File here if you’d like, use the default “New Outlook Data File” if you’re unsure.
- Click “More Settings” > “Outgoing Server” > “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” > “Use same settings as my incoming mail server“. (This is the most common option)
- In the same window select the “Advanced” tab and enter the settings provided by your email provider and click “OK“.
- Click “Next” and test your email settings and you’re done.
If you’re unsure about your email settings <– when your hosting account was originally setup you would have received an email with all the settings, consult this email or contact your email provider for the settings.